Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Those Kids on The Radio Are On The Newspaper!

A normal drive to school for the summer semester would consist of 3 things that always happen. In chronological order, (1) My mom telling me I'm incredibly late for my 9 AM class, (2) breakfast in the car and (3) "The Morning Rush."

On my way to Katipunan with my Dad, the first bit I caught as we turned on the radio was Gino, telling everyone to buy a copy of The Manila Bulletin because it featured all three of them on the Campuses & Schools section--a weekly special, published on Wednesdays. I sh*t you not, my Dad went ballistic and frantically looked for a "tak-tak boy" along C5! I finally convinced him to forego with the idea and have me buy one at the nearest convenience store instead, and as I went down, he handed me a thousand-Peso bill for a twenty-buck newspaper. LOL.

"Three Way Radio" by Jaser Marasigan
photo by: Andrew Pamorada
published in The Manila Bulletin on April 25, 2012

"Three Way Radio" by Jaser Marasigan
photos by: Andrew Pamorada
published in The Manila Bulletin on April 25, 2012 

Just a quick tidbit: If there's one thing I admire about my Dad, it's the fact that even with drivers, he insists on driving and seeing off each and every one of us (5 kids) to wherever it is we have to go to in the morning. It doesn't matter if he's sick, tired or overworked, Dad would always be the one to give our day a head start--even with the crazy Manila traffic! With or without us kids in the car, Dad's constant companion while braving the raging streets of the cosmopolitan traffic would be the car's radio. Since getting into radio in 2008, Dad's been converted to being a listener of Monster Radio RX93.1--as if he has a choice. Ha ha. Since then, it's no secret in the family that my dad is a huge fan of The Morning Rush with Chico, Delamar & Gino. I remember that one time I saw my Dad get really "kilig" because Delle greeted him with a "Hi, Sir!" Priceless.

After reading the lengthy 2-page, photographed and colored interview of the hosts of the multi-awarded, longest-running and top-rated radio show--to which my Dad quipped "Anak, sa ibang station ba, ganyan ka-"good looking" and mga DJs?", I hastily folded the section to get to the other parts of the newspaper. Lo and behold, I came across THIS!

"Happy Summer Campers" by Jaser Marasigan
photos by: Andrew Pamorada
published in The Manila Bulletin on April 25, 2012 

photo by: Andrew Pamorada

photo by: Andrew Pamorada

photo by: Andrew Pamorada

Funny how it really did take me a while to realize that it was us. For one, I half-forgot about the interview we had weeks ago. The fact that it was a full page, in full color was unbelievable too! I gotta be honest, being published in a major broadsheet not for a crime is a pretty great feeling--a perfect mix of pride, "kilig" and happy that got me smiling and giddy the whole day!

After much internet and text-blasting and the initial shock passed, it finally all came to me--something I failed to notice and it sunk in. They used this photo. Oh God, why.

(L-R) Radio1 jocks EJ, Ysa Chong, Nikita, Nikki V., Angel, Trish & Genille
photo by: Andrew Pamorada

"Happy Summer Campers" by Jaser Marasigan
photos by: Andrew Pamorada
published in The Manila Bulletin on April 25, 2012

Ha ha. Read all about it HERE! Thanks to Jaser Marasigan, Andrew Pamorada and the editorial of The Manila Bulletin for this one. That's one thing off of my bucket list. 'Til the next post!

That kid on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment