Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blast from the Past - Radio1 Circa 2008

I got a lot of feedback that people enjoyed my previous "Blast from the Past" post featuring RX 93.1 back in '08 so I figured to make a separate post dedicated to Radio1!

Radio1 batch 2008

So how and when exactly did I get into the whole business? I phoned the receptionist asking her if RX had any openings for a summer job as a student DJ and she was nice enough to tell me about Radio1--a student jock training program for college students aged 18 and above. I was 14 and in my sophomore year in high school. Crap. A couple of months after my 15th birthday, I called again and asked how the audition process was. Simple enough, all you had to do was call them in advance that you were coming in, schedule an audition with a senior RX jock and wait for the results! And the whole 18 and college criteria, which I kinda left out when I told the secretary to take down a date. Technically, I didn't lie. So I showed up, met Dr. Love, Tom Alvarez, told him straight-up that I was 15 and in my 2nd year and asked if I could still audition. And I quote: "Well, you're here. Show us you got it and we might reconsider." 2 months after that recording session, I got a phone call from then-head Radio1 student jock and now senior air-staffer Hazel telling me that I got in Radio1! And again, I quote: "Really?! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!" There you have it. I attended the meeting on June 22, and my first training date was on August 18, 2008.

Radio1 Photoshoot 2008
Photo by: Enzo Marcos

Radio1 Photoshoot 2008
Photo by: Enzo Marcos

My first day was uneventful, at least, because I was only tasked to observe for the whole of the 3-hour show. A week after, I read my first time check on-air for SUN Cellular ("time brought to you by SUN. Sa SUN, SUN tawag lang 'yan!") which, to my behest was in Filipino. Yes, I remember these things!





We were a pretty big bunch at 28 or 29 if I remember correctly. There was... Andre, Enzo, Merryl, Bea, Caramel, Jimmy Ayson, Trish, AM, Maan, LA, Helen, Mike, JJ, Jaime, Joey, Andy, Will-J, William, Alpha, Klara, Mona, Suzie, Cam, JC, Bianca, Lee, Angel, Jana, Paula, Thea, Albert & Carlo. Phew. I'm pretty sure I left out a LOT more. Turn-over was pretty fast and a lot of people were falling in and out of Radio1 and scheduling was really difficult. Props to Hazel and AM who pretty much took care of that big bunch for around 3 years! Pretty big number compared to the 16 jocks that we have now. Ha ha.

(L-R) EJ, Hazel, Will-J, Raffy Reyes, Alpha, Joey, Paula, AM, Carlo, Caramel, Bea, Andre, Suzie, Mona and Klara

The up-side was that there was always a full house for events: parties, premieres and stick-ons were always filled with Radio1 jocks and those were always fun.

at the RX Car Stick-On 2008
photo by: JP Manahan

at "College Break!" the RX SemBreak Party 2008
with former Radio1 jock Carlo and RX weekend jock AM

at "Black & White" the RX Halloween Party 2008
(L-R) former Radio1 jocks Wil-J, Diana, Cam, EJ and RX weekend jock AM
photo by: JP Manahan

Training-wise, nothing much has changed. I started out with Igi and Francesca. Igi left, and I was carried over to Gino who trained me for about a year and a half. After college started, I made a switch to Christi for a bout a month or two for the summer but that was cut short. I stuck to the same time slot and was put under the Rico Robles and I haven't had a calm moment on radio since! Ha ha. Still a lot to learn though, so yes, keep tuning-in!

Looking for more? Check www.rxradio1.multiply.com for more on retro Radio1!

'Til the next post!

That kid on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment